Sunday, March 19, 2006

See Art sing. See Art dance. SEE ART BRUT!


I'm laying in bed in the Omni, belly stuffed from the soggy rueben I just wolfed down. I couldn't seem to get enough salt on my fries. The hotel has now presented us with not one, but TWO boxes of chocolates, one of which is sitting open on the nightstand calling my name. I've already finished the maple creams and I'm contemplating the chocolate truffles. If only that rueben would make some room. I need a bigger belly. Bet you'll never hear that from an Angeleno again!

SXSW is officially over. What a week! I'll be posting bits and pieces over the next several days - photos, tidbits from panels, info I picked up along the way about websites and services for bands, maybe even some video... who knows? - but let me just start by listing some of the highlights: the Kemado and Astralwerks showcases (LOVE those labels. Must meet their A&R folk), Sia, Eagles of Death Metal, Nine Black Alps, Arctic Monkeys, ART BRUT!, and to close it off: The Pretenders, baby!!! Seriously. They didn't play Brass in Pocket or Middle of the Road (my fave) - in fact I didn't recognize at least half of their 50 minute set plus two encores - but they were rockin' and Chrissie is so fuckin' bad-ass that I enjoyed every second!

Naturally I missed a few I'd have liked to see. Among them a Japanese metal band called Dir En Grey that had people actually paying $100 for tickets. I didn't even know tickets were an option. Next year I'll clone myself. And my wallet.