Friday, March 24, 2006

Here's to good friends...

...Tonight is kinda' special...

What beer commercial is that from?

Of course one of the bigger reasons to go to SXSW is to network. Many of us get our business cards reprinted just before we head out of town, ready to hand them out with the rapidity of a speed dater (or so I hear). That's why one of the most exciting things that happened for me out there was actually meeting someone I would consider a friend. Someone I would actually hang out with, were we living in the same city. In this year's case, that someone was a rad guy named Donnie DeBoer. Jaime met him through his lawyer, or that's how I remember it going, then introduced him to me. Since they were going to most shows together over the course of the week, I also found myself seeing a lot of him. He's the frontman of a Dallas band called Auto Escape. I hadn't even really given them a listen until I got back to L.A., and I was really hoping I'd like it. You know how it is when you meet a person who comes off as really cool, sincere, and creative, and you really want to like their work? Then you don't like it? It's a huge disappointment.

Good news! The Auto Escape EP blew me away. Rockin', poetic, melodic, driving rhythm section, sincere vocals... I felt a wave of relief sweep over me as I listened to the first track, White Roses. Then I got to the third - Falling Asleep in the Snow - and my CD player has been stuck in repeat mode ever since. So, naturally - and with Donnie's permission - I won't deprive you. Here are the two tracks I mentioned, from the EP Turn It Off. If you like it, check them out online/on myspace and hit them up for the full EP. You won't regret it. Oh, and did I mention they aren't signed yet?


Auto Escape, White Roses
Auto Escape, Falling Asleep in the Snow

[photo from Auto Escape website]