Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Shameless Plays: Between Earth and Sky [The Colour]

I was introduced to this band by one of my girlfriends a couple of years ago and became an instant fan. I wish I could say that it was because I was so deeply touched by their music, but truth be told I couldn't take my eyes off of the lead singer. He looks and moves just like any footage I've ever seen of Jim Morrison (insert girly *sigh* here). We went to as many of their shows as we could, and I never recalled a song. And it didn't matter. I mean, if it was not good, I would have noticed right away and been thoroughly annoyed, swearing off ever seeing them again.

Okay, that's not the most glowing endorsement, I know, but they came to my attention again recently as the buzz built over their February 2007 release and I decided to give them a more critical listen. Maybe because I went to see them with my boyfriend this time instead of "one of the girls." Whatever the reason, I'm glad it came to be, because I found the songs from their new release to be far more memorable than I recalled. I had read that they were something along the lines of The Cure, but watching them last month brought to mind rootsier, more blues-influenced, American-style rock. Their songs had not so much a dancey, new-wavey jerk, but rather a sexy groove.

Check out a couple of tracks to see what I mean:

~ Save Yourself mp3
~ Devil's Got a Holda Me mp3

Labels: ,