Wednesday, August 10, 2005

the non-scene

Last night marked the grand opening of Vanguard. I had been inside the space formerly known as Qtopia over the last couple of weeks, as Steve's band is recording next door at West Beach. It's amazing what they've done with the place! And the zen patio complete with giant Buddha outside - you better believe I gave that belly a good luck rub! The highlight of the night, however, was the sushi bar courtesy of Sushi Roku. Mmmmmmm...

VHS or Beta played, and so did another guy whose name I don't remember. I didn't see him anyway. And there were acrobats/trapeze artists and magicians! I was surprised to discover that the DJ was Adam 12 - he played a flawless set! I was never a huge fan of what he selected during his tenure at Block Party, so it was awesome to see his range. The coolest part of the night, however, was the people in attendance. Tastemakers and trendsetters, members of hot bands, and people who party for reasons other than to get their weekly quota of Cobrasnake shots.

The Hollywood party scene is an ever-evolving creature, and I daresay that it was refreshing to see that an awesome party could be thrown by people other than the same old 4-5 dudes we've all come to follow. Time for the next generation!